What is WiMAX?
WiMAX is being adopted as the worldwide standard for transmission of high - speed voice, Internet and data signals over the 2.5GHz spectrum range. WiMAX service is transmitted over licensed spectrum, assuring the user secure, reliable wireless connectivity over a broad service area.
Utopian Wireless’ network is built on a worldwide wireless networking standard known as WiMAX technology. Because Utopian Wireless is building wireless broadband networks, as opposed to wireline networks, Utopian Wireless’ deployments costs are much lower. Through its wireless technology, Utopian Wireless can cost‑effectively build networks in fourth and fifth tier markets. Utopian Wireless’ network offers many advantages over traditional wireline telephone and cable systems:
- Cost Effective. A broadband wireless system does not require the upfront costs associated with a wireline network. The costs of coaxial cable or fiber and the labor associated with laying that infrastructure is one of the largest impediments to most communications carriers building broadband networks in fourth and fifth tier markets.
- Portability. Customers on Utopian Wireless’ network can enjoy their WiMAX broadband access anywhere within Utopian Wireless’ service area without the confines of a wired world.
- Last Mile. Last mile is a term that refers to the last leg of connectivity from the communications carrier to the final end user. The most common wireline last mile delivery systems currently in existence – standard copper phone lines and traditional coaxial cables – cannot support the increasing needs of the residential end user as is required for broadband data transmissions and high speed Internet access. More advanced wireline systems, such as fiber optic cable to the home, are generally too expensive for widespread deployment. Wireless delivery systems are the solution. For a fraction of the price of comparable wireline systems, wireless systems offer last mile delivery capable of meeting the increasingly technologically challenging demands of residential consumers and small and medium size businesses.
- Licensed Wireless Community. WiMAX offers consumers a wireless alternative to cable and DSL for accessing broadband that is far superior to common 802.11g “Wi‑Fi” wireless fidelity systems. A WiMAX network like Utopian’s offers broadband access anywhere within its network, much like a Wi‑Fi hotspot you may find in your local coffee shop. However, unlike Wi‑Fi networks, WiMAX networks are built on licensed spectrum and offer coverage in a much larger service area. Whereas a Wi‑Fi service is usually not much larger than a single building or a few hundred feet from its wired connection to the Internet, a WiMAX signal spans miles of airways, from tower to tower, without any wires at all. What this means is Utopian’s customers are able to get a broadband connection to the Internet anywhere within Utopian’s miles of coverage area in the community. Utopian’s WiMAX networks will not suffer the interference from other devices that is inherent in Wi‑Fi systems, and are inherently secure, unlike services using unlicensed spectrum. For more information on WiMAX technology, scroll through the website of the WiMAX Forum, a non‑profit organization dedicated to deploying and standardizing the wireless broadband industry.
- Licensed Spectrum. Utopian Wireless is building its networks on licensed spectrum in the 2.5GHz range. The 2.5GHz range is the largest segment of spectrum designated for WiMAX use in the United States. Originally the 2.5GHz frequency band was licensed for use in providing wireless video distribution. The FCC has recently repurposed the spectrum for wireless broadband services. In order to build its network, Utopian Wireless is actively acquiring this spectrum in fourth and fifth tier markets all over the United States. Utopian Wireless Coverage. For more information about the 2.5GHz spectrum, read the 2004 Federal Communications Commission’s Report and Order that repurposed the 2.5GHz band for broadband usage, accessible at